This would be a perfect post-workout meal on a chilly evening! Kind of reminds me of an ethnic chili (minus beans)!
Hot Italian Turkey Sausage Tikka Masala
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 45-60 minutes
1 package of hot Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
2 green peppers, cubed (about 1 inch)
2-4 jalapenos (leave seeds in for extra heat), diced
1 onion, cubed
1 package of sliced mushrooms
1 large can of tomato sauce (28 oz.) - we love Dei Fratelli Products!
1 large can of crushed tomatoes (28 oz.)
1-2 cups of coconut milk
1.5 tspn garam masala
1 tspn cumin
Salt & pepper, to taste
1/2 tspn crushed red pepper
1/2 tspn cayenne or chili powder (I used chipotle chili powder for the heat)
2 tbsn coconut oil
1. Heat 2 table spoons of coconut oil over medium heat.
2. Pan fry the turkey sausage, casings removed, until browned all over. Remove from heat and slice thinly into disks. Return to pan and continue frying until browned (or until you reach your desired crispiness). Remove, drain, and set aside.
3. In the same pan, saute the onion, mushrooms, peppers, and jalapenos until onions become translucent. *Feel free to add minced garlic!
4. Add all of the dry spices and stir until fragrant (Be generous with the salt/pepper, maybe start with 1/2 tsp of each).
5. Pour in tomato sauce and crushed tomatoes. Stir occasionally until bubbling. (
6. Turn the heat to medium low, and slowly stir in the coconut milk until you reach your desired color.
7. Taste the sauce with a bite of sausage to determine if you'd like to add any spices (remember, the sausage will add heat).
Serve with bread, preferably naan; garlic naan :)
Optional: Serve over rice.