Taco bake / Mexican Lasagna
(This picture does NOT do this meal justice)
8 flour tortillas
1 lb of ground beef
1 can of chili beans, drained
5 cloves of garlic
1/3 jar of salsa (your favorite, I used taco bell brand-medium)
Taco seasoning packet
3 tablespoons of queso (or chili con queso….or shredded cheese)
Shredded cheese (Mexican blend) for topping
Sour cream (optional)
Hot sauce (I used "Eros Pistas", a hungarian chili paste)
- Preheat oven to 375 f
- Dice onion and garlic, then sauté (over medium, medium/low) until onion is golden (adding the garlic the last minute).
- Over medium heat, brown beef in a separate pan, then drain.
- Add onion, garlic, and beef back into a pan and keep heat setting at low
- Mix your taco seasoning packet with ½ a cup of water and add to beef.
- Add queso or cheese into the beef, stir.
- Add drained beans into the cheesy beef, stir.
- Turn up the heat for a minute, stirring. This is when you can add your spice factor (hot sauce, crushed red pepper, anything!).
- Spray PAM or any non-stick agent into a casserole dish.
- Align two tortillas (side by side) on the bottom.
- Layer 1/3 of the beef/bean mixture.
- Add 2nd layer of tortillas.
- Layer 1/3 of the beef/bean mixture with the salsa.
- Add 3rd layer of tortillas.
- Layer the rest of the beef/bean mixture, cover with last two tortillas, and sprinkle with cheese and jalapenos.
- Cook uncovered in oven for about 15 minutes (or until the tortilla edges begin to brown)
- Squeeze lime over the top before serving with sour cream!