Monday, September 24, 2012

Wonton Lasagna

Chicken-Spinach-Pesto Lasagna

Inspiration: Trey sending me this link - Healthy Recipes

Above you see a photo of the finished product

This recipe is so LIGHT & TASTEY! 
If you are watching the calories or the clock this is a perfect option! Half the calories of a traditional lasagna with minimal prep time!

My grocery shopping totaled only $13 for this meal (enough to feed 5-6); I was lucky to have about half of the ingredients at home!

INGREDIENTS:
2 cups of part skim ricotta
2 or more cups of shredded chicken
6 tablespoons of your favorite pesto (I used sun dried tomato pesto)
1 cup of mozzarella
1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
5 oz. of baby spinach
1 8 oz. jar of roasted red peppers
One large egg, beaten slightly
1 package of wonton wrappers (I used about 30-40 pieces)
Garlic salt or your favorite Italian seasoning - I use a parmesan garlic bread dip seasoning

Before baking...

STEPS:

1. Preheat over to 350 degrees F

2. Marinate (Italian dressing), grill, and shred chicken - we used a Foreman

3. Prepare the cheese by combining ricotta, 1/2 of the parmesan, 2 tablespoons of pesto, egg, garlic salt

4. Cook spinach in a large pan with 1/4 cup of water on medium high...a few minutes until wilted

5. Cover the bottom of your favorite lasagna dish with the remaining pesto. If you don't have enough, add more!

6. Layer wonton wrappers, slightly overlapping, to cover the entire bottom

7. Layer 1/2 of the ricotta cheese mixture evenly over the wontons

8. Add sliced roasted red pepper and chicken

9. Layer with another layer of wontons, then ricotta cheese mixture, chicken, remaining peppers, half of the spinach and parmesan cheese

10. Now add the final layer of wontons topped with the remaining spinach, mozzarella cheese and your favorite seasoning

11. Cover tightly with foil and cook for 20 minutes

12. Uncover and cook an additional 10 minutes or until melty and starting to brown around the edges.

My slice! 

Conclusion

Success.
-Cutting into this wonton lasagna was surprisingly easy; everything stayed in place and I was able to cut perfect slices and serve each in tact! :)
-Each bite was better than one before. The difference in texture wasn't very noticeable.
-My cheesy, saucy, Italian craving was fulfilled...without feeling weighed down and ready for bed! 

What I may try next time:
1. Add fresh minced garlic in the layers with the chicken
2. Add crushed red pepper before baking
3. Experimenting with different veggies...just not too many as that may become too soggy

Wohoo!
I highly recommend this light dish, especially if you're trying to impress a light eater...or even a vegetarian (just don't add the chicken...follow the original recipe).

I love making something I've never attempted before and hearing "this is SO GOOD", "OH MY GOD SARA, YOU DID IT AGAIN", "I've never had anything like this before, and I love it!". 
(The person responsible for the above quotes is my one and only, Trey)

**Wonton wrappers are found in the produce section, refrigerated area, near the tofu


ENJOY!

1 comment:

  1. So, I've got to admit something. While you were out of town... I woke up at 7 o'clock in the morning & had a little corner of this :) And I have to concur that it was deeeeeeeeelish.

    ReplyDelete