Thursday, September 20, 2012

Slow Cooked Pulled Chicken Dinner


Pulled BBQ Chicken, Light Cole Slaw, 5 Bean Salad & Corn


My first attempt to "slow cook" anything in a crockpot turned out to be a huge success!
I found a few simple pulled chicken recipes, shared with Trey, and we decided on one...and I went with it!

The prep and starting the crockpot was quite a scene; all done within 20 minutes on my lunch break! The sides were all prepped with a glass of red in hand AFTER work!

The Chicken
I followed this recipe very closely. Tobasco sauce was the only ingredient I subbed out with Stubb's Wing Sauce (this was a new buy, thanks to Tim, and I was just really excited to use it; plus it was very spicy, in a peppery way!). 
A few reviews of this recipe say how the sauce may get watery. This is true when you begin the shredding...however, if you let it sit on the warm setting and stir every 10-15 minutes, it will eventually be absorbed by the chicken.

The Slaw
1 Bag of shredded cabbage
Greek Yogurt - 2 tbs 
Mayo - 1 tbs (generous)
Sugar - 2 tspn (flat)
Apple cider vinegar - 2 tbs
Cumin - 1/2 tspn
Salt/Pepper - to taste

Mix the above, cool and serve

Delicious, light, crispy! Much better than a store bought/traditional wet, soggy, mayonaissy cole slaw.

5 Bean Salad
Big Bill says I should get Pam's recipe ;)
Yes, it was still good, actually very good.
I used a quarter of the sugar this recipe calls for and omitted the green pepper.

Corn
Boiled :)

Feast
We prepared our toasted rolls open faced; one topped with slaw and the other topped with JALAPENOS. 
All in all, we were all very satisfied, even the Carolina boys! I was blown away, so goooooooooooooood!

No comments:

Post a Comment