This is SO good! I didn't even have to go to the grocery to make this. Love it when that happens.
Here are the details...
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 can of black beans, rinsed
- 1 onion (any kind), diced
- 1 can of chili beans/pinto beans
- 1 can of corn
- 1 can of rotel (spicy....if you like spicy!)
- 1 packet of taco seasoning (or make your own...google the recipe, you probably have the spices!)
- Shredded cheese (1 cup)
- 2 cups of plain tomato sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- Optional: jalapeños (fresh or pickled) or cilantro to garnish, extra cumin (to taste).
- For serving: hot sauce, salsa, sour cream
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare quinoa according to instructions on packaging.
- In a large pan, saute onion with a little bit of EVOO until translucent.
- Add the turkey to the pan and cook through until no longer pink. Add taco seasoning (I use a little extra cumin here).
- In a large bowl mix:
- Cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup cheese
- Canned beans, corn, and tomatoes
- Once everything is thoroughly mixed, add tomato sauce (a little at a time) until you get a nice thick consistency (you don't want it crumbly and dry).
- Taste test and add salt/pepper as needed. I added an extra teaspoon of cumin.
- Pour the mixture into a lightly greased pan.
- Pour lime juice over this and cover with cheese. (Add jalapeño here!)
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Cook uncovered for an additional 10 minutes.
Garnish with cilantro and serve with hot sauce, salsa and/or sour cream!
Or you could add jalapeños: