Creamy Penne Chicken Marsala
About 6 servings
2 plump chicken breasts
Flour (for dredging the chicken)
1 stick of unsalted butter
1 lb of sliced mushrooms
1 onion (sliced or diced)
5 cloves of garlic (diced)
2.5 cups of marsala wine
1 cup of beef broth (or chicken broth)
1 cup of heavy whipping cream
1 packet of mushroom gravy/sauce
1 lb of penne pasta
6 oz container of freshly shaved parmesan cheese
1/2 tbsp of cornstarch
1. Cut each (2) chicken breast in half, pound out thin, and season with salt and pepper, then dredge in flour.
2. Melt 2 tbsp of butter (medium low) in a pan and brown the chicken on each side (until cooked thru). Remove the chicken from the pan, dice, and set aside.
3. Add 1 tbsp of butter into the same pan and saute the onion until cooked/softened.
4. Add another tbsp of butter and mushrooms (1lb) - cook together with onion until the onion is caramelized and mushrooms are cooked. Add diced garlic the last 2 minutes. Do not overcook the garlic.
5. Remove onion/garlic/mushroom mixture from the pan and set aside.
6. Add the marsala (1.5 cups) to the same pan, bring to a boil and scrape the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. After a few minutes add the beef broth (1 cup) and heavy cream (1 cup) and bring back to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and let it reduce for about 20 minutes. Add 1/2 tbsp of cornstarch (dissolved in cold water) and bring the mixture back to a boil once more (for a minute) and return back down to simmer - helps thicken the sauce.
7. Cook pasta according to package and drain.
8. In a separate sauce pan, make your mushroom gravy (packet), but instead of water, use marsala (1 cup). Once the gravy is beginning to thicken - add to the marsala sauce.
9. Add the chicken and onion/mush mixture into the marsala sauce. Add 6 oz. of shaved parmesan cheese and stir.
***Don't forget to taste the marsala sauce at this point and season with salt and pepper to taste!
10. Add the drained pasta back into the pot (over LOW heat) with 3 tbsp of butter....then add the marsala mixture to the pasta, stir and cook for a minute until the pasta absorbs some of the sauce.