Thursday, January 9, 2014

Taco Soup - Vegan/Vegetarian

 Healthy, SPICY, tasty...


We all know what happens every January; people get motivated and decide to challenge themselves to some crazy diet, work-out regime, or fast. I'm not going to lie, I am one of those people THIS year; last year did NOT happen. Well, let me take that back, I'm sort of one of those people; the reason I say that is because I started my "challenge"two days ago, NOT on January 1st! 

Anyway, my sister (in-law) Bekah, is definitely someone you want around or someone who's influencing your eating/workout habits. She runs regularly and eats healthy....exactly what I'm challenging myself to! The other day, I saw a photo of her dinner, 'Vegan Taco Soup'. It looked, OH so delicious, kind of like chili (or the photo above). I just had to try this, and yep, she was right, it was amazingly easy and delicious.

Here's Bekah's recipe, slightly modified:

Ingredients
1 large (28 oz) can of tomato sauce
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can of chili beans (pinto), with sauce
1 can of dark red kidney beans
1 can of diced tomatoes (use Rotel if you want spicy, otherwise I suggest fire-roasted tomatoes)
10 oz. of corn (I used 1 can of corn, whole kernels)
1 small onion diced
1 bell pepper diced
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 packet of taco seasoning (I make my own - google the recipe, and double the cumin)
1 quart of vegetable stock
*Optional: additional spices to your liking
*Optional: Fresh spinach, sour cream, jalapenos


Steps
1. Heat up the coconut oil and sizzle the diced onion and bell pepper for about 5 minutes.
2. Add the taco seasoning mix to the veggies and stir until fragrant.
3. Add ALL of the canned goods (and corn if using frozen) and continue cooking on medium-low heat.
4. Pour the vegetable stock until you have reached your desired soup consistency. I like to use the entire quart. 
5. Bring to a boil and simmer on low for at least 30 minutes. 
6. Salt and pepper to taste. 
*Optional: Line your bowl with fresh spinach, pour the hot soup over it, and enjoy with your favorite toppings. My FAVORITE is sour cream, it literally transforms the soup. 



I had mine topped with cheese and sour cream!
(Most of you will never hear me say this again, but, cheese was not necessary-still delicious, but if you're trying to be healthy, you won't miss it if you decide to skip it. On the other hand, sour cream, is always a must). 

Thanks, Bekah for introducing us to something so delicious and SO easy to make. I didn't even have to go shopping to make this; found everything in my pantry and fridge.

:)


No comments:

Post a Comment