Thursday, June 22, 2017
Black Bean Tacos with VEGAN Sour Cream
For the sour cream:
1 cup of cashews (raw preferred, but regular salted ones you find at the store work fine)
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoons of fresh squeezed lemon juice
2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon of sea salt
(recipe adapted from www.ohsheglows.com)
For the taco filling:
1 can of black beans
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 bell pepper, diced
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp olive oil
3/4 can of rotel OR 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp garlic powder
For the vegan sour cream:
1. Soak 1 cup of cashews in water (make sure it's covering the top of the cashews at least an inch) overnight.
2. Place the soaked cashews along with the remaining ingredients in a mixer and blend on high until smooth consistency.
3. Store in an airtight container in the fridge, allow to cool and thicken before serving.
*I noticed this was a little more running that traditional sour cream, you may want to try using less water if you don't like it this runny.
For the taco "meat":
1. Rinse and roughly mash the black beans with a fork.
2. Sautee onions, peppers and garlic with olive oil over medium heat until the onion is translucent.
4. Taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.
Serve on corn tortilla and top with cabbage salad, vegan sour cream, and hot sauce!