Thursday, November 3, 2016
1 pack of Hot Italian Sausage (pork, chicken, turkey, or VEGAN!), casings removed
1 small onion
1 bell pepper
1 cup of chopped baby Bella mushrooms
1 can of fire-roasted tomatoes
4 cloves of garlic, crushed
Olive oil (2 tbsp)
Salt (1 teaspoon)
Crushed red pepper (1/2 teaspoon)
Italian seasoning (1/2 tablespoon)
Large can (28 oz.) tomato sauce
1 quart of chicken stock (or vegetable)
1/4 cup grated parmesan
Ricotta Cheese (for topping)
Mozzarella Cheese, shredded (for topping)
Fresh basil (for topping)
1. Heat oil over medium heat and sauté the onion, mushroom and pepper for a few minutes.
2. Add the sausage, and cook through making sure to break it up (like ground beef).
3. Season the meat with salt, crushed red pepper, and Italian seasonings. Add the crushed garlic and cook for an additional minute.
4. Add the tomato sauce, canned tomatoes, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, prepare your egg noodles if using.
6. Once you're ready to serve the soup, add the grated parmesan cheese, mix well. Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Serve each bowl with a dollop of ricotta cheese, sprinkled mozzarella on top, and fresh basil.